No Christmas menu is complete without a roast turkey, but this year make it an elegant, easy-carve affair by serving a rolled turkey breast stuffed with apricots and cashews.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 45-55 minutes
1 boneless turkey breast (about 750g)
1½ tbs olive oil
2 leeks (white part only), sliced
2 carrots, sliced
2 celery sticks, sliced
1½ tbs honey
2 tsp lemon juice
200ml chicken stock
3 tsp olive oil
1 small onion, very finely chopped
2cm ginger, grated
40g soft dried apricots, finely chopped
40g salted cashew nuts, chopped
30g fresh white breadcrumbs
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 tsp chopped fresh thyme, plus extra sprigs
1 tbs freshly chopped parsley
1 tbs honey
3 tsp lemon juice
1) For the stuffing, heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, for two minutes, then add ginger and stir for another minute. Remove from heat.
2) Squeeze sausage meat from casings and place in a bowl. Add remaining stuffing ingredients including the onion mixture. Season, then stir well.
3) Preheat oven to 180°C. Carefully remove skin from turkey breast and set aside. Butterfly the meat by cutting it in half horizontally, but don’t cut right through. Open the meat out on a flat surface and hit it gently with a meat mallet or the palm of your hand to flatten it.
4) Spread stuffing over the cut side of the turkey. Place a few sprigs of thyme on top and roll along the width. Place the skin over the top and over the open side, then tie with string.
5) Place in a roasting pan, then season and drizzle with oil. Scatter leeks, carrots and celery around turkey and drizzle with oil. Toss well.
6) Roast turkey for 30 minutes, then baste with honey and lemon juice. Toss vegetables, then roast for a further 15-25 minutes until turkey is cooked through.
7) Remove turkey and set aside. Add stock to pan and heat on the stove. Simmer, stirring, for 5 minutes, then strain the gravy. Serve the sliced turkey with gravy and accompaniments.