Prepare the sweet and sour grapes a few days before your Christmas meal to give them time to pickle.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes, plus 1 hour setting
60g unsalted butter, plus extra melted butter (optional)
1 onion, chopped
250g chicken livers, cleaned
1 tsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
1 tbs lemon juice
1 tbs brandy
¼ cup (60ml) pure (thin) cream
Thinly sliced toasted baguette, to serve
Rocket leaves, to garnish
Sweet & sour grapes
½ cup (125ml) white wine vinegar
¼ cup (55g) caster sugar
1 tsp coriander seeds
200g seedless red grapes
1) To make the grapes, heat the vinegar and sugar together until simmering. Add the coriander seeds. Put the grapes in a sterilised jar. Pour the hot liquid over the grapes. Seal the jar and leave for a few days, or longer.
2) For the paté, heat the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes until soft. Add the chicken livers and fry for 5 minutes. Add the thyme and cook for a further 3-5 minutes.
3) Add the lemon juice, brandy and cream and stir over the heat for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
4) Spoon into a food processor and blend until smooth. Pour into paté dishes and leave to cool. Pour a thin layer of melted butter over the top, if desired. Chill for at least 1 hour.
5) To serve the crostini, spread the toast with paté. Cut grapes in half and scatter over the top. Garnish with rocket.