Embrace the traditional flavours of Christmas with this flaky apple strudel recipe layered with marzipan and mixed spice.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Baking time: 35-40 minutes
8 sheets phyllo pastry
Melted butter, to brush
2-3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1½ tbs lemon juice
100g marzipan, chilled and grated
100g brown sugar
½ tsp ground mixed spice
½ tsp ground cardamom
40g dried white breadcrumbs
Icing sugar, to dust
Whipped cream or custard, to serve
1) Preheat the oven to 200°C. Place a piece of baking paper on your work surface. Lay a sheet of pastry on it and brush with melted butter. Cover with another sheet of pastry and butter. Repeat with remaining pastry. If desired, Trim the edges and, if desired, use a star cookie cutter to cut into the pastry – don’t cut right through. Turn the pastry over so that the star cut-outs are facing downwards.
2) Mix the apples, lemon juice, marzipan, sugar and spices in a bowl. Arrange down the middle of the pastry pile. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs on top.
3) Fold the short ends of the pastry inwards and then roll up the pastry tightly from the long sides.
4) Transfer to a baking tray with the join in the pastry at the bottom. Brush liberally with melted butter and, if you didn’t make the star cut-outs, cut some slits into the top of the pastry.
5) Bake the strudel in the oven for 35-40 minutes until it is crisp and golden. Dust with icing sugar and serve sliced with cream or custard.